Saturday, August 25, 2007

An Evening at the Allen County Fair

Justin and Crystal joined Laura, Kaden and I for an evening at the Allen County Fair and then a movie at our house - Hot Fuzz. (Good movie.) I haven't been to the fair in years and was kind of looking forward to it just for the food. Mmm... I was right.

The rain had finally stopped so we headed out and found a parking spot that wasn't a mud pit. We walked up to the fair with our free tickets. (Thanks, dad!)



We started our quest through the food row and finally ended up at the "Beef -- it's what's for dinner" tent. Justin and I both got a steak burger which, it turns out, is a big slab of beautiful beef put on a bun. It was very tasty. While we ate, Crystal and Laura took Kaden through the barns to see the animals. I decided that I couldn't walk through the beef barn and look the cows in the eye while I ate their brethren. Oh well.

After our steak burgers, we walked down to the huge outdoor grill (see in background below) and got Crystal a huge turkey leg. That was a massive slab of meat! I was going to get the shish kebobs, but figured I'd had my ration of beef in my steak burger and needed to save room for some deep fried goodness.



During our walk-about, Kaden slowly ate his corn dog. It was more corn than dog, but he seemed to enjoy it OK, as you can see.


Laura and I split a breaded tenderloin sandwich (you know the kind - small bun, 3.5 sq. ft. of "meat") and Kaden was playing at a small swimming pool filled with prizes. The gentleman running it was nice enough to let him play for 5-10 minutes, so we ended up buying a prize for Kaden. As you can see, he liked it. He's my little Teddy Roosevelt - "Speak softly and carry a big stick, and you will go far."


We played some ring toss to win the sticks. Crystal and Laura were the big winners with Justin and I coming up empty handed. I also enjoyed a lot more food including fried Oreos (Oreo covered in dough and deep-fried - everything nice and soft), an Elephant Ear and some soda. Laura had a milk shake.

It was a fun evening with Justin and Crystal and I guess I'll make sure to hit the fair up at least once per year for the food. I'm going to be paying for this in the morning.

No comments: