Thursday, November 01, 2007

Bike Upgrades

Well, now that I'm doing more riding solo than anything in preparation of some duathlon/triathlon action in 2008, I wanted to get my bike better suited for it. In this kind of riding, being in an aerodynamic position for extended periods of time is crucial since you aren't drafting behind other riders like you see in road racing (i.e. Tour de France). Since I bought the wrong kind of bike (road vs. tri), I ended up going to Bike Works in Sylvania, OH for some after market parts (thanks to Steve and Ben for the help) and a proper fitting from John.

I added some aero bars and Look pedals to the bike and some more apparel to my collection including some Diadora road shoes. Sweet. After about an hour on the bike with John, he got everything down to the correct angles for my legs, back and other parts that need to line up just right to product the maximum amount of power while still being comfortable and leaving room to breathe.

After a 22 mile ride today, I can say that being "aero" really makes a difference when you're pushing through the wind. I rode a rolling, country road the whole time, so I was on and off the bike a lot and on and off the brakes and shifters quite a bit. I would love a flat, smooth road where I could just stay down and see how it feels. Either way, I know this was a step in the right direction.




No comments: