Tuesday, November 06, 2007

First Swim Session


After receiving my shipment from Speedo this past Friday, I knew I couldn't avoid it much longer. I bought a new suit, goggles, rubber cap and some nose plugs. I headed to the Lima YMCA this morning at 6am and was in the water by 620. (The picture on the left is the actual pool in Lima.) I didn't set a hard goal, save to do as much swimming as possible. The first time I tried this over a year ago, I was only able to manage four laps (1 lap = down and back once). That was a feat and required a stop or two in the middle of the pool from powerless arms.

After about three laps today, I decided that I'd shoot for nine laps which equaled 450y; just a hair over a quarter mile (440y). I made it to the end of my ninth lap and I was pretty well satisfied with my effort, so I took a soak in the hot tub.

I do need to make some goggle adjustments since it is an hour and a half after I finished as I write this and I can still feel where they were pushing my eye sockets in, tempting to pop the eyeball straight out.

Today was a very promising start to swimming. Going from four laps a year ago to a fresh start with nine, I know that my running and biking conditioning played a role in it. Now I just need to start building up to 50y at a time and so on. I have months to train without any race. Hopefully I can stay with it.

I can.

No comments: